martes, 3 de julio de 2007

Immersion

I have spent the last few days immersed in a Chilean town where the nearest thing to English is CNN or the WB (with subtitles).

Sitting a table attempting to follow four simultaneous conversations in very fast Spanish has felt like a taste of what it must be like for ELL students. The routine of regular meals at least gives me a place to feel successful and like I know the rules.

Imagine taking an oral test and being shown up by a sixteen year old. Yes, they are years ahead of us.

And for the record, I created this blog in Chile, following the directions to set it up in Spanish.

2 comentarios:

Paul Wilkinson dijo...

Muy bien.

Unknown dijo...

Hi Meredith -

Just checking in to make sure you are having fun in Chile. Unfortunately, I don't know ANY Spanish, so I can't foster your learning of the language by conversing here.

Anyway, Nichole wants to talk to you, preferably in English, when you are available.

Adios,

Lucy